Saturday, October 8, 2011

One month

One month. One month ago I said a lot of goodbyes and boarded a plane with a one way ticket to Haiti. Even though a lot of people weren’t surprised by my move to Haiti, I felt deep down this was a very un-Brooke-like thing to do. I’m a type-A personality and love to have everything neat, organized, and with a plan. I truly believe God has a huge sense of humor lately because nothing about my life is any of the above. This past month has been a huge adjustment. I didn’t think that all the “things” in my life really mattered and was one of those people that always said I could do without all the material stuff. In reality being removed from your “comfort zone” is hard and painful. Honestly, there are some days I wish so badly I was in my home and I question why I’ve been called to Haiti. It’s in those moments though that God shows me glimpses of hope. I love that each time I’m in the village I recognize more and more faces and am slowly learning more names. I love that the children recognize me and call my name (ok, they can’t really say my name..it sounds more like B-look). The language is still overwhelming, but the smiles I get when I say something correctly or actually understand what someone is telling me are literally priceless. I love that I have the opportunity to actually form relationships and not just be a visitor in this community. I love being a part of NVM and the opportunity I have to connect with people all around the world who come to serve. Most of all, I love going to the village in the afternoons and simply washing babies and visiting with the women and children.

I don’t know what God has planned for this year in Haiti. At times I’m completely overwhelmed with the reality of living in another country that is far away from family, friends, and just my comfort zone in general. And then there are other moments when I know I’m right where I’m called to be. A bible verse, that was used in church a lot the month before I left has been on my mind daily...

Eph 2:10 “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”

One month. One month ago I boarded a plane and that glowing “Fasten Your Seatbelt” sign somehow felt quite directed towards my future!


2 comments:

  1. im so proud of you and miss you more and more each day. god has amazing things in store for you and i cant wait to see what happens next!

    <3 lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it into your blog pictures! Yay, life is complete :) I loved reading this and just seeing your heart on the page. I miss you, skype soon? I try to keep it up on my phone when I'm at home so feel free to call anytime! Hope camps are going well this week.

    ReplyDelete