Friday, February 3, 2012

It's a BOY!

Each and everyday I'm humbled at how each of my Haitian friends invite me into their lives. They don't treat me like a visitor or like someone who is here for just a year. They honestly treat me like family. Yesterday, Aubree and I needed to make a quick trip to the village. That trip turned into a long evening of many firsts for me. When we got into the village the kids immediately told us that Bernardia had delivered her baby. I have teased Bernardia for five long months that the little one growing inside of her should be named "ti-brooke" (little-Brooke) and that of course it will be a little girl. Aubree and I were both beyond excited! Of course, after talking to some of the adult women we found out that Bernardia hadn't really had the baby, but instead was having contractions..next time I'll have to remember that 5 year olds aren't the most reliable source for information! We walked (ok, we were literally drug by the kids) to Bernardia's home and invited in to see her. She was so excited to have us there and instantly wanted to know where E'tienne was and said we needed to call her. I'm pretty sure that trip to the village was the fastest for E'tienne! The next four hours were amazing as the three of us sat on the ground inside of Bernardia's mud home. There is a saying that it takes a village to raise a child, but last night taught me it also takes a village to deliver a child. Bernardia was surrounded by women that had all birthed multiple children in their homes and were there to support her. Each had advice that ranged from how she should sit on the ground to how she should push. After watching the mid-wife maneuver her pregnant abdomen I whispered to Aubree and E'tienne that there was no way I would ever be able to have a baby here. I sat in her home amazed at how simple it all was because there were no fancy monitors or equipment, but only a lantern to light the room. There was no bed that transformed into a birthing table, but rather rocks that were layered with clothes to make them softer with a friend to sit behind her and hold her up. There were also no IV's or medications, but instead oils, perfumes, and hot tea. Most importantly, no complete strangers were present but rather a room full of family and friends. The entire evening was filled with things that left me feeling like it was all a dream. As I came home I was worried for my friend and prayed that the remainder of her labor would be quick and safe. Bernardia delivered a precious little baby boy late this morning and I was able to hold and see him when he was still just hours old. Last night I was given a glimpse into the reality of child birth for most of the women I have been called to serve and I know I will never look at a pregnant woman the same.

Don't be fooled by the pink=)
I like to think that "ti-brooke" is still an option for his name
Bernardia's home

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting Brooke! I can't imagine delivering my 4 that way. What a blessing, a healthy baby boy. He even looked close to term!
    You are doing great work there!

    ReplyDelete