Wednesday, December 5, 2012

saturday mornings

I love Saturday mornings.  On Saturday's the children don't have school and most of the women are off buying/selling things at market.  This means it's typically just me and the kiddos--and they are always full of energy.  It's during theses hours of the morning that their imaginations run wild and we have so much fun.  They come up with all sorts of games, songs, dances, and activities.  Currently, they are really into playing "market" and as soon as I walk into Chambrun they come running up to me and stuff my pockets full of little scrap pieces of paper or trash.  These pieces of paper quickly become my "money" as the children begin to run around with buckets filled with rocks, dirt, and anything else they can find to sell.  They always give me a great deal on anything I want to buy and let me tell you there is always plenty to purchase!  I typically end up buying mangoes, water, little candies, plantains, and of course some flour and rice.  They are also really into making food and decided last Saturday that they needed to cook some food for me.  It took them quite awhile to prepare the meal and they were really careful to make all my favorites.  I loved watching them as they ran all around looking for bottle caps, containers, scraps of material, and all sorts of other things to put the food in.  These little moments of watching the children simply be children are priceless.  There are no toy boxes (or rooms) overflowing with toys and honestly most of the kids have no toys at all.  And yet they are able to create anything and I'm constantly amazed at what they come up with.  Love that I have this special time with my little friends!

The food is being created--I wasn't allowed to help=)
Happy little cooks!  
The finished product--it was delicious!  
Getting ready to take the first "bite"...
Natamara and Davidson are on my lap here--trying to keep them from eating the "food"..as you can see by the mud all over me it wasn't an easy task!

No comments:

Post a Comment