Sunday, September 4, 2011

I'm in Haiti!


And so it begins...



Over the past few months I have been busy preparing for my move to Haiti. My house is being rented by some amazing young women and I was able to move out without worrying about a thing. The financial support for my year in Haiti was raised quickly and I am still in awe of just how generous and excited everyone was to partner with me for the year. My job granted me a year long leave of absence and after seven years of working at Methodist I said goodbye. The youth group at church sent me off with prayer and a lot of hugs. It was a lot harder than I thought saying goodbye to all my family, friends, work, and just leaving in general but I left feeling very loved and completely supported by everyone.


I officially moved to Haiti on September 1st. My flights were uneventful and everything went smoothly. I arrived in Haiti and cruised right through immigration, had luggage waiting (YEAH!), and then through customs. I was greeted outside by Aaron, Adam and Aubree and I can’t tell you just how amazing it was to see familiar faces! I instantly realized that I’m home now and I won’t be leaving in a week. It’s overwhelming to think of everything I have to learn and yet I have to pace myself and realize it will all happen one day at a time.


I will be living on campus at Nehemiah Vision Ministries and am sharing a home with three other women who are also here for the next year. My bed was made and space cleared out for all my belongings. They couldn’t have made me feel more welcome! A sign was made by Isabel announcing my arrival and everyone went out of their way to make sure I felt right at home. Coming “home” to friendly faces was the perfect way to end a long day of travel and move to Haiti.


And so my journey begins. I’m still in awe that God has called me to Haiti and honestly I don’t know just what all this means. I do know that He is faithful and that He has prepared me for this adventure. I can not thank you enough for the love and support that you have given me during this season of transition. I am blessed to have this opportunity and I know that this is only the beginning to an amazing year!



1 comment:

  1. Don't let my funky nickname fool you, this is McKenna. Glad you made it home safely. Good luck and we will be praying for you and your mission.

    ReplyDelete