Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where did I see God this week?



Where did I see God this week? I was asked this question and I find myself having a love/hate relationship with it. It is difficult to answer the question because it forces me to truly process my surroundings and the situations I am encountering. If I can be brutally honest...sometimes it's just easier to go through the motions without really allowing myself to become emotionally involved or vulnerable. I met a mom this week that brought her five month old to the clinic. He was precious and weighed a mere six pounds. The mom wasn't able to breastfeed and didn't have formula to feed him. He wasn't "sick" he just needed to be fed. Something so simple and yet nearly impossible for this mom. Part of me wanted to be frustrated at how small he was for his age, but the other part saw hope. His mom chose to bring him to the clinic and paid with what little she had, so he could be seen. I was able to sit with the mom and teach her how to feed him while the other nurses filled a bag with formula. I taught her all the normal things like how to mix the formula, use only clean water, and wake him every 3-4 hours. More importantly though, I had the opportunity to encourage her. I told her how beautiful her baby was and how smart she was for repeating the formula recipe. I even joked that before long she would need to see the doctor because he would get so chunky it would hurt her back to carry him! So where did I see God this week? I saw God in this mom. I saw Him in her smile and desire to learn how to care for her son. For me, at the heart of it all, choosing to see God also means I have to accept and allow God to be God. I have to trust in the plan that He has for the people of Haiti and know that ultimately He has already provided everything they need.



For more pictures-- click on the link below! You do NOT need to have Facebook in order to see the photos. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Brooke, THIS is why you are in Haiti! Your reward from God will be to see this little one grow. Proud of you and we love you! Mom, Pop, Mila, and Yarley

    ReplyDelete