Monday, July 29, 2013

more on letting go...

Photo taken by: Maya Laurent (www.mayalaurent.com)
"He has shown you, O man, what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8
When I first moved to Haiti I was planning to simply step out and take a break from my life in Indiana.  When I left I placed my car in storage, packed my belongings in rubber maid bins, and rented my home.  I was planning to return to that life.  After several months in Haiti I realized that God had a different plan for me and that His story for my life was far more than I could have ever dreamed or imagined.  For the last several months I've felt very anxious and overwhelmed at the "things" in my life and with trying to live in both Haiti and Indiana.  After lots of prayer and conversations with my family I decided it was time to let go of everything that wasn't part of me living in Haiti.  In a way that only God could orchestrate each and every detail was worked out perfectly.  Between my family and the Zachmann's my home was quickly cleaned and prepared to place on the market.  In just 24 hours the house had ten showings and a full price offer.  The reality of actually letting everything go has been hard because those things held lots of amazing memories.  Today my home in Indiana has a new owner and is no longer mine.  There really is no word to describe how I'm feeling right now and yet this life that He has called me to is so very right.  As emotionally crazy as this whole process has been it is also so freeing to know that I am no longer tied down to things and that I'm truly free to live and serve wherever He leads. 

1 comment:

  1. Brooke, I don't know if you remember me (and it doesn't matter) but I was with a church group that came with the Dots in Blue Water team a year ago. I love following your blogs and you deeply touched my daughter who has since decided to be a nurse with hopes of one day using her skills in the mission field because of meeting you in Haiti. Your testimony to truly be free of things to live for God is so powerful. Thank you for sharing your incredible life that God has called you to through these pages. Yet....He calls us all, doesn't He? Maybe not Haiti....but the Great Commission is for everywhere. And He asks for lordship in all areas of our life...not just the parts that are comfortable or convenient. What a beautiful example you are! Becky Drish, Quincy, IL

    ReplyDelete