Friday, July 5, 2013

worship

"Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship your holy name"
~10,000 Reasons, Matt Redman

One of the many things I love about the Haitians I serve with is that they sing as they work.  They don't just hum- they literally sing with all the strength they have in them.  It doesn't matter if they know all the words or if they have an amazing voice- they sing.  They sing out loud as they mop, prepare food, walk to the well for water, hand wash laundry, and the list is literally endless.  As I go about my days I find that He places songs on my heart.  Songs that speak to the brokenness and scream at the injustice.  The songs comfort and remind me that He is there and ultimately knows the bigger plan.  Life here is hard and it's not easy for me to be emotionally vulnerable or to really process things.  Over time the stories, faces, and moments- they add up.  I love how He is faithful and how He has chosen to speak to my heart.  When I sit and rock a toddler that is crying simply because he hasn't eaten.  When a two month old baby that weighs only 1.7 pounds is resting in my hands.  When I hear that hospital after hospital refuses to provide care for an infant because death is so near.  When eyes are empty and filled with such darkness.  When I can't come up with the words to even start a prayer- He places a song on my heart.  It's through a song that He reminds me of His goodness and sustains me in the moments I can't breathe.  It's in humming a song that He steadies my heart and hands to truly seek and serve Him.  

1 comment: