Wednesday, September 11, 2013

nursing interns

Left to right: Lindsey, Abby, Aubree, Megan, and me.
Myself, Caity, Hannah, and Katherine
When I worked at Methodist (a hospital in Indianapolis) I used to have student nurses partner with me during part of their last semester of nursing school.  I loved watching the students move from being a student that was used to having a lot of guidance and help to care for one patient progress to caring for multiple patients with little help needed.  The students grew in their knowledge of skills, confidence, and were hopefully more prepared for the real work world post their internship.  Last fall through late winter Aubree and I received applications from student nurses who were interested in a nursing internship with NVM during the summer of 2013.  Aubree and I prayed over the applications and after lots of emails and planning the interns started to arrive in May!  We were blessed to watch as Lindsey, Abby, Megan, Hannah, and Caity all truly jumped right into life here in Haiti.  They studied Creole and were bold in speaking even when they knew they would mess up and probably get laughed at.  They were quick to greet each patient in the clinic with hugs and compassion.  Each of them loved and served each patient they met well.  They spent day after day in the village loving on all of my little friends and their families.  They cried tears of brokenness and they rejoiced when it was time to celebrate.  They chose to look through the brokenness to find the hope in His plan.  These young women encouraged me and loved me while serving here.  I love that this wasn't just a clinical experience but I truly believe they also grew in their faith and met God in a new and real way.  So thankful that they stepped outside of their comfort zones this summer and answered the call He placed on their hearts.  
Lindsey with  Kris!
Abby and Rose
Megan and Nehyson
Hannah and Mykel
Caity and Dashline

No comments:

Post a Comment