Tuesday, May 26, 2015

lovekenda


In February I admitted one of the smallest little girls into the malnutrition program.  I remember when I first met her mom at a mobile clinic up in the mountain.  As soon as I saw her daughter I knew she was severely malnourished. I talked with her mom and asked her a lot of questions.  I didn’t spend a lot of time sugar coating my words with this momma because I wanted her to realize just how sick her daughter truly was.  I explained to her how I would be able to help her daughter but also told her that she would have to choose to come and receive the help.  And that ultimately she needed to grasp on to the hands of the Lord because her daughter was so very sick.  The day her mother came to clinic to have her admitted into program felt like a victory to me.  I felt that I could celebrate because Lovekenda's mom made the sacrifice to actually come and follow through with what had been offered.  Her mother quickly hugged me and said that she had not been able to sleep since we first met.  She said she had spent many nights thinking over the things we had talked about.  It was all I could do to hold myself together as I went through the admission process with Lovekenda and her momma.  I had a really hard time getting her length on the board we use to measure the children because her hips were so boney which made her body just roll to the side.  I was encouraged at the fact that this sweet girl still had enough energy to scream as I tried to weigh her but the sight of her naked body on the scale was enough to take my breath away.  The Lord blessed me with visiting team members who offered to pray over this mother and her daughter before they left the clinic.  As the prayer ended Lovekenda’s mother started praying too.  She prayed a blessing over each person in the room and she asked the Lord to bless those who made this work possible.  She thanked the Lord for bringing her to our clinic and for her daughter.  Because of how the malnutrition appointments fall I knew I wouldn’t see this mother and child for three weeks.  Oh was it a long three weeks!  Right on schedule this sweet momma came walking into our clinic with Lovekenda in her arms.  I instantly thanked the Lord and then lifted the blanket that was covering her head.  She gained exactly 2.99 pounds in three weeks!!  Even though Lovekenda still had a long ways to go I chose to spend that morning rejoicing with her momma.  Rejoicing and celebrating the work that the Lord had done and was still doing in this little girls body.  On Monday Lovekenda graduated from the malnutrition program.  Her momma was proud to tell me all the things her daughter is now able to do.  And told me that others can't believe just how big she now is and how well she is doing.  So thankful that there is a community of people supporting the malnutrition program and health clinic at NVM both financially and through prayer.  Love watching the little ones grow as they progress through the malnutrition program!  

No comments:

Post a Comment