Wednesday, January 25, 2012

answered prayers

Blogging is really difficult for me. One of the (many) reasons is that it requires me to be vulnerable emotionally and physically and let's be honest...the internet is a big place. I think the main reason though is that the people I blog about aren't just random people. They are my friends and even more so they have become family. I struggle with trying to respect their lives/stories while also giving you a glimpse into my life here in Haiti. Davidson's story below is a perfect example of this struggle. He has been on my heart for the last five months. Davidson has always been special to me and as I've watched this part of his story unfold I have struggled with the "right" way to be vulnerable with how his life has impacted mine. E'tienne (my friend, roommate, one of the other nurses who works on campus) wrote the blog below and after reading it I told her it captured exactly what I had been trying to put into words. It seemed silly to re-write another version so with her permission I added some other photos I had and copied her blog entry (etienneyork.wordpress.com)...
Davidson (left to right-- 3rd baby) in June 2011
"There’s nothing like a ray of sunshine to brighten ones day. At 10:00am yesterday morning I was greeted by one of my little buddies “Kesna” at our back door. Like most of our school children, I figured she was just sick. Instead she told me that “Davidson” is outside. Davidson is a little boy from our village that I have known since the first day I stepped into Chambrun back in July. He was the little baby you would find on the ground half naked, with dirt all in his mouth, without mom in site. When he found himself in one of our laps (Brooke, Aubs, Leslee or I) he would nuzzle in and fall asleep in minutes. We acknowledged him, held him,fed him, played with him, bathed him and most importantly loved on him. We earned his trust. Many days as we left the village to head back to campus, he’d cry.
Davidson (on the bottom) in October 2011
About 2 months ago we noticed a decline in his health, so much that we became extremely concerned. His family had brought him into the clinic and we provided him with some medication and nutrition. A week or so later we noticed that Davidson wasn’t ever there during our visits. Family and friends told us that he and his mother had moved to another village. I was extremely saddened, for we no longer could monitor his health during our visits to the village. As we continued our visits in Chambrun, we’d come back always with an update on him. It wasn’t ever real encouraging news, which made it even more difficult. It got to the point where our friends from Chambrun also became concerned about his health. This past Sunday Aubree was able to talk with Pastor Pierre and share our concerns. After sharing her heart, Pastor also agreed that something needed to be done. For me it gave me a spark of hope, I thought to myself now we’re making progress. That afternoon we found ourselves in the village talking with his grandma and sharing our concern and how we can help. Now all that we could do is pray, wait and hope that the message would be shared with his mother and someone would bring him to the clinic before it was too late.
Davidson (far left) December 2011
So here Brooke and I were 2 days after Aubree talked with Pastor; holding Davidson in our arms with such joy and hope in knowing that his life-story has many more chapters still to come. The process of intervening has begun. Davidson…our little ray of sunshine has found us again!
Davidson January 24th, 2011
Davidson’s journey is just beginning. God has a plan for him and we know that it is far more than we could ever dream for this sweet little boy. As nurses, we are asking you to join us in prayer for Davidson. Please pray that God will give us and NVM the wisdom in making decisions. Please pray that as nurses and sisters in Christ we will be able to speak words of affirmation and love to his mom and encourage her. That ultimately Davidson’s family, neighbors, and friends will all see Christ glorified in all things."

My nurse friends blogs=)
E'tienne's blog: etienneyork.wordpress.com
Aubree's blog: aubreedell.wordpress.com
**Just a fyi--we typically use one camera when taking photos so a lot of our pictures are similar/the same..we all love to capture the moments here but also want to be sensitive to our friends too.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for telling us about Davidson. His story is now a part of your story, and more accurately you are a part of his story. There is a way to share your story and not take advantage of his. This is what we want to hear, your story, and the intersections you make with the lives you come into contact with there in Haiti. Your heart is what we want to hear. Please don't stop sharing your heart! I'm convinced as you share, God's heart will be revealed to all of us who read your blog. And maybe one of us will "get in the game" and make a difference somewhere in the world. You are my hero, Brooke, bless you! Chuck

    ReplyDelete